“May” is one of those versatile words that can be molded into several meanings.
(1) “Mother, may I?” is asking for permission.
(2) “I may if it rains” denotes possibility.
(3) “May it be so” indicates desire.
(4) “May" is a girl’s name.
(5) And there’s “the merry, merry month of May.
May I suggest that the following use of our spotlighted word is the one with which each of us will ultimately be held accountable?
(6) “I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life.” This may asserts certainty.
This is 1 John 5:13 … in the event that you may want to see it in its natural setting.
When was (or will be) your May Day?