What kind of a year was 2021 for you, 1-to-10? We’ll take fifteen seconds now while you calculate that number and write it in this blank: _________________
To arrive at your grade for 2021, your brain zipped through your job situation, income, perks, promotion, respect/recognition, possessions, acquisitions, relationships – comparing these and other benchmarks with previous years.
Normal vision is 20/20; when you stand 20 feet from an eye chart, you can read what most people can from there. 20/10 means you can read the chart from twice as far as most people. To be twice as wise in preparing for this year, would it help if you knew who you really are, your purpose for living, and what to do this year to fulfill it? Unknowns can become doubts that poison attitude and performance. Former Harlem gang leader Tom Skinner says, “I spent a long time trying to come to grips with my doubts, and suddenly I realized that I had better come to grips with what I believe. I have since moved from the agony of questions that I cannot answer, to the reality of answers that I cannot escape, and it’s a great relief.”
List your three biggest unknowns about 2022. Then write what could give you hope.
UNKNOWN #1 ______________________ ______________________________
UNKNOWN #2 ______________________ ______________________________
UNKNOWN #3 _____________________ _______________________________
Executive mentor Bobb Biehl says that smarmy villain, Stress, is due in large part to indecision and a perceived lack of control. List three areas that you feel are out of your control. Then write the #1 decision you need to make about each one in the next six months. Making these decisions will relieve much of your stress.
OUT OF CONTROL #1 ___________________ _____________________________
OUT OF CONTROL #2 ___________________ _____________________________
OUT OF CONTROL #3 ___________________ _____________________________
“Leaders know what to do next, why it’s important and how to get it done.” That’s how Biehl defines leadership. If you lose focus, start asking profound questions. Before we look at your 2022 with 20/10 vision, let’s answer these:
• What one measurable goal do you want to achieve by the end of 2022? How will you do it? _______________________________________________________________________________
• If you were given 15 minutes on global TV to speak on any subject, what would you tell the world? _________________________________________________________
• What are you really, really, REALLY passionate about?____________________________
• What do you do best? (You should be doing this most of the time.) ___________________________________
Immediately following 9/11 Pres. Bush met with the U.S. Justice Department. His two-word challenge to them became their war cry: “NEVER AGAIN!!”
• What is your “war cry?” This phrase or word will always motivate you to achieve your life’s purpose. _______________________________________________________
Chances are, every aspect of your life will fit neatly into one of these eight folders. Write your goals for 2022 -- in one sentence or less -- for the following:
MY LIFE PURPOSE: Mark 12:28-31; 1 Corinthians 10:31; John 17:24
1. FAMILY: Ephesians 5:25; Proverbs 22:6
2. FINANCIAL: John 3:22-30
3. PHYSICAL: 2 Corinthians 5:1-5
4. PROFESSIONAL: Colossians 3:15-17 and 4:1
5. PERSONAL: Psalm 139:1-10 and 23-24
6. MENTAL: Romans 12:12; Philippians 2:5-8
7. SOCIAL: 1 Corinthians 13:1-13
8. SPIRITUAL: 2 Corinthians 5:16-21
Copyright© 2022. George Toles. All Rights Reserved.